Friday, July 10, 2015

"Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" (Seriously) - 2560x1600 - ArtFlow

08/03/15 - Update



07/26/2015 - I started working on this again because it just doesn't feel finished yet.



07/18/2015 - I deleted an adjustment layer that made the image darker as a result and added highlights only to select areas. I like the darker look more.



7/11/2015 - Final portrait of a friend. She photographs really well so this has become a part of a series of her. This piece was relatively painless to complete and I like the results. 









A friend sent me the photo shown in the images. I really liked it and started working on her portrait a couple of days ago. Inspiration can be hard to come by these days so I tend to run with it when inspiration grabs me. In retrospect, I probably should have worked from light to dark for this piece, but I could just be nitpicking. As always, practice, practice, practice. The talent is within you, not the technology. Not the tools. I've been criticized many times by family and friends for the amount of time I spend drawing. There are various reasons for that, the main reason being I love what I do. Unfortunately we live in an age when a lot of people don't have talent or the focus to learn but still want the accolades as if they have said talent. Not that different than trying to sound intelligent speaking about a subject they have no knowledge about. 

Don't be that person. The hack. The bullshit artist. The clown. The person that goes through the motions but has no idea what they're doing but still demands the respect as if they do. I have absolutely no patience for these types of people. Practice and learn. KNOW what you're doing for your own mastery so that you may one day pass the knowledge on as it was passed to you. There is no shortcut to excellence. Laziness deserves no respect. 



No comments:

Post a Comment