While waiting for the SurfaceBook to finish processing a different project (I REALLY hope Microsoft offers a Ryzen 7 option in the next SurfaceBook or Threadripper in a new Surface Studio) I decided to tool around with an older project. This is an update to an idea I started on a Nexus 7 tablet using ArtFlow. It was later transferred to my Surface devices and updated in 2016. This update was centered around the lighting and creating a powerful blue tone to the overall project. Unfortunately, I didn't have the original line art on the Studio, that's still on the Nexus 7 which is packed up so I worked with the updated colored version from 2016 using added layers while changing existing layers to complete what you see here.
This is the revised version of the original project. I was really tentative with the lighting, apprehensive in screwing it up. Big mistake, in limiting the range of the project, it weakened the project making the very mistake I was trying to avoid. I like the colors and how clean the lines are. But the lighting doesn't quite work here. It's simply not strong enough IMO making the project feel incomplete. But to be fair, this version is better than the original project shown below.
This is the original project created in ArtFlow for Android. Initially Kianara was present but I removed her after becoming totally stumped on what to do for an actual background that included the two of them. As you can see, there are even less highlights in this version due to fear. The important lesson here is, don't let fear prevent you from pushing a project. Fear of not knowing, fear of making a mistake, fear of being harshly judged...fear will cause the very mistakes you're trying to avoid. Fortunately, I was able to revisit this project after gaining more confidence to push it further.
A slightly different perspective could be, the original version could still work in a comic book or graphic novel format. That's the funny thing about art. There really isn't a "perfect" way to create anything. It all comes down to the intention of the creative and personal preference. The process used in the original could work. I've seen works created using far less color and rougher lines. But the most recent version is more along the lines of what I initially intended but was a bit too worried to pursue way back when.